More than just a place to occupy. Someone once said: What you think, you become. An urban edition: What you cultivate in life, you will harvest. Food or progress….
The greenhouse is one of Sweden’s most sustainable building projects. Situated in the city of Malmoe.
It is an accommodation that makes it easy to do the right thing and live in a green and sustainable manner in the center of the city.
The amazing opportunities for cultivation, in combination with the fact that it is possible to highlight and, in various ways, to visualize households’ impact on the environment, give the house its unique character.
The residents can monitor their sustainable lifestyles through an e-reader in their homes. This applies to hot water and electricity, but also to the building’s total waste. The e-reader can also be used to book the carpool, a cargo bicycle, the laundry room or public transport.
The building produces its own eco-friendly electricity with solar cells and there is only one electricity account for the property. Thus, all the residents are offered self-produced solar electricity and wind electricity purchased at a reasonable price.
The dome-shaped greenhouse is a natural meeting point, but also provides an opportunity to grow more exotic crops. The building’s 14th floor also offers opportunities for cultivation and for frost-free winter storage of plants.
20 sqm balcony with 11 sqm cultivation area. The balcony is divided into two climate zones – some are glazed in order to extend the growing season, while some are open. The roof terrace has allotments of over 200 sqm.
While the Greenhouse is being built, a project called “A more non-toxic kindergarten” is being conducted, which is a collaboration between MKB, the City of Malmö and the Swedish Society for Nature Conservation.
Together, the project group considered which materials the children come into contact with, the risks associated with children’s behavior compared to adults, and it implemented a log-book and a building product assessment for all materials. In the construction of the Greenhouse, MKB included the following measures:
• Heat recovery in ventilation
• Control of heating, ventilation, and lighting
• Energy-efficient drying equipment
• Insulation of heated storage area
• Energy-efficient and demand-controlled outdoor lighting
• Sealed building before the heat is turned on
• Optimization of transport
• Minimization of materials
• Recycling of materials
• Recovery/waste separation at source
• Minimization of materials sent to landfills
• Electricity labeled “Good Environmental Choice” GREEN CONSTRUCTION PROCESS
• Energy-efficient elevators, cranes
• Measures that reduce drafts and heat-loss and provides uniform temperatures and lower noise levels: Door closers/airlocks, sun-shading, heat recovery, better windows, insulation, and sealing between the sheds and more efficient thermostats.
• Separate measurement of energy consumption during production in order to optimize consumption. Measurements are made of the consumption of electricity in each material container, construction crane, sheds, premises in basements and more. Material containers are provided with additional insulation.
• Separate measurement of water and district heating consumption in order to obtain an impression of our usage during the production phase.